Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jan 22

The view from the bedroom window...if there is no cloud. I actually took this yesterday, the first time I was alert enough to look at the view as I opened the shutters. Unlike the shutters in the Northeast, the ones here are in daily use. You have to open the windows wide to open the shutters, so twice every day you get a gust of the fresh air.

My days don't start until dawn...which is officially at 7:30 or so, and then I have the tough job of ablutions, feeding myself, checking the mail, and then deciding when I will go to the shops, when to walk, and what to buy for supper. And, amazingly, I have found time working against me!

My progress in French: I am still pointing, but I was able to ask for a half kilo of stew beef, successfully. Checking afterward (feeling quite good) I learned that while I was mathematically correct, no French person would ask for anything but 500gms. So now I have to learn above nine. I have realized that much of my reason for not talking is: being too aware of the mess I will make of the language.

Sightseeing: All the tourist attractions are closed for the entire month of January. So visiting towns depends on good weather. Although I have seen little rain, the forecast has been almost consistently for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment