Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Feb 4


Today’s picture might help some of my readers understand what I mean when I say I am walking around a lake. These lakes are not like Lake Champlain…they are more like small reservoirs, set up by man and designed for complete access. Vermonters, think Indian Brook with a wide flat path! This also gives you a view of the weather I have experienced most days... heavy clouds that can really dump water...or are blown away by high altitude winds!

At this time of year it is not easy to see that water is a resource that needs conserving carefully. There have been too many days with participation (today was snow for a couple of hours…darn it!) and the mud is amazing! But with the summer temperatures at 110 degrees plus, the land dries out fast, so these lakes are a crucial part of the agricultural economy. Oh yes, and some people like to catch the fish in them!

Wood stove update: I know that some of you have been waiting with bated breath to hear how I have managed this heat source. It was tempting to make managing the wood stove my raison d’etre and escape everything else (you know, the way work can be!) but I restrained myself. Today however, with snow coming down in the morning, and plans that all centered around the house I decided to use the wood stove as the primary heat. I managed it…and am so chuffed with myself! Glad I don’t have to do it everyday…and am more impressed than ever with my friends who do!

No comments:

Post a Comment